i-Tree for Merida Yucatan Mexico

Have you used i-Tree components for your own project? This is the place to tell others about your experiences—and to link to online results, images, reports, and publicity. Relevant topics include project area, challenges, organization, methods, and effects.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

hdelaconcha

i-Tree for Merida Yucatan Mexico

Post by hdelaconcha » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Merida is the state capital of Yucatan, and together with CANCUN the most important city in the peninsula. Several efforts are taking place to improve city environment, and there is interest in running the i-tree eco model in the city to asses the situation of the current urban forest. I am in the process of gathering the information needed to run the model with the international protocol, please feel free to send me tips on what to lookout for, most common mistakes, and most important how to implement the field data gathering.
So far I have obtained the pollution & meteorological info and are in the process of project designing. I expect to get going within the next 2 months.
Horacio de la Concha
AGRINET SA de CV
Cuernavaca MEXICO
hdelaconcha@agrinet.com.mx
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: i-Tree for Merida Yucatan Mexico

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:34 am

Great to hear about your project in Mexico. Making sure that you can provide all the necessary data for an international project is a great start and this forum post covers the details in case you haven't seen it, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1227&p=2208&hilit=i ... onal#p2208.

Beyond that we encourage new users to create a test project and try collecting data on a few test projects. That will give you a good idea of where you might have difficulties or questions. I'd encourage you to do your tests using the new i-Tree Eco version 6 which you can download by selecting "Check for updates" from the "Help" menu within older versions of Eco. You can find Eco v6 specific manuals here, http://www.itreetools.org/resources/manuals.php, and walk-through videos here, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hW-SL4QHry. Within, our archives we have a few practical guides about i-Tree Eco project management from partners who have completed projects in the past. You can find those under the "i-Tree Eco Project Planning and Management Resources" heading here, http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php.

Early in your planning you will want to decide whether or not you want to pre-stratify. Unless you are trying to answer a very specific question in your area we generally recommend generating your plot locations as a completely random or systematic random sample. That would allow you to use multiple post stratification schemes to answer a variety questions and adjust to changes over time if you want to remeasure your plots. Also, we have found that users completing city-wide projects may under estimated the challenges of accessing plots that fall on private property. Contacting private property owners and safely accessing their trees can often require a significant time investment.

If you have additional specific questions as you begin your project feel free to contact us directly at the i-Tree technical support email address, info@itreetools.org.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
hdelaconcha

Post by hdelaconcha » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:25 pm

I am planning on using the descriptors of the fields in spanish I do not forsee any problem with that just checking if this will.

Thnak yo
Horacio de la Concha
AGRINET SA de CV
Cuernavaca MEXICO
hdelaconcha@agrinet.com.mx
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:54 am

I don't foresee any issues with using Spanish language descriptions in your project set-up. You might want to avoid using special characters like ` and ~ which may not be recognized by the processing server. Additionally, we do occasionally see issues with computer language settings in other countries especially where the decimal place indicator we use here in the States, e.g. "5.2", is replaced with a comma, e.g. "5,2". To avoid any issues associated with that type of language setting conversion it may be worth changing your computer setting to "US English" when you submit data for processing or retrieving results.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team